David P. Smoot
Mr. Smoot has an extensive business background covering almost 45 years, starting with his honorable discharge from the U. S. Army Reserves. Mr. Smoot spent 20 years in the micro- computer hardware and software industries, where he held positions as Director of Operations for Digital Research in Pacific Grove, CA, working with IBM Boca Raton and Intel, as well as senior positions with Informix, a database software company prior to Digital Research, (DRI), as it was known. At DRI he handled very large OEM software sales, which led him to found Software Funding International, Inc., (SFI), the nation’s first “software-only” leasing company.
Backed by the Chicago Corporation, Smoot financed huge transactions involving Fortune 100 companies and over 85% of the S/W manufacturers in the micro-mini computer industries, including: Oracle, Sybase, McCormick, and Dodge, Informix, etc. SFI was acquired in 1989 by Meridian Leasing in Deerfield, IL and Smoot ran it as President for two years, opting to leave and start another leasing company specializing in U.S. DOD, government and Native American opportunities. He retired in 1994 and moved to Scottsdale, AZ.
In 2003, he began a real estate infrastructure development company amassing over $2.5 Billion in signed contracts, before it
succumbed to the sub-prime global debacle and the Lehman Bros and other financiers’ bankruptcies in 2008-2009. In 2009, he began his career in renewable energy, morphing into renewable fuels, where he began Hawaii Renewable Fuels, LLC in 2014 and U. S. Advanced Bio- Fuels, Inc. in 2016. Smoot has created a model not seen in this industry to date: a turnkey solution to developing Bio-mass-to-Fuel that is 100% guaranteed with world-class partners, second-generation and proven technologies, fixed costs, operated by a world-class O&M, all under the umbrella of world-class EPC. Mr. Smoot, a Creek Indian, has served on the board of
several well-known charities, including:
- Social Venture Partners-Phoenix Chapter,
- Phoenix Indian Center – President,
- Sports Legends Prostate Foundation and Jerry Colangelo Celebrity Golf Event,
- Little City home for the mentally challenged in Palatine, IL, – Board advisor and liaison to the NBA Awards Banquet held annually in Chicago,
- Robert Huff Scholarship Foundation,
- Pro Players Classic, which he co-founded, from 1999 to 2010,
- Native American Basketball Invitational (NABI) Charity Board,
- National Football League Players Association Native Vision Program in partnership with John Hopkins,
- Nominated in 2008 as the in-coming president of the Phoenix Indian Center – the oldest
- Native American Charitable Organization in the U.S., and served on its fund-raising Board,
- Delivered over $200,000 to charitable organizations in the past 10 years through his own charity, the Pro Players Classic Golf and Celebrity Event, including Boys and Girls Clubs of Scottsdale-Lehigh Branch; Desert Foothills YMCA;
- Phoenix Firefighters Association’s Fence Program to prevent disadvantaged children from drowning;
- Wounded Warriors; the Southwest Autism Research and Resource Center, (SARRC);and 35 other charities,
- and voted the Spirit Award 2008 by the Arizona Diamond Backs Baseball Club.
Mr. Smoot was honored in 2008 on the field prior to a home game. This award is given annually, by a vote of all Arizona tribes, for the individual that best exemplifies extraordinary will, efforts and results to benefit Native American Youth.